Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring fever....or you know it's time to head home soon when your closets are crying for help.

 
It's an official "trend", I clearly remember from last year.  I have reached the point where I open my closets, look at the sad and mottley mix of Mexican cotton, Canadian summer clothes and well worn bathing suit cover-ups, and decide "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR"!!  The only two pairs of "dress up" shoes I have both lying broken on my closet floor leave me wondering what to do....wander the hot streets trying to find a store that might potentially sell the size 9's my feet need, or just keep on wearing the rest of my sad and well-worn footwear until we leave in 4 1/2 weeks.  It's tempting to just let "nature take it's course" and dress "not to impress" for the next month, but I do have a reputation at stake and besides, supporting our local shops before the Easter crowds of Mexicans from the interior arrive might just be fun! 

Now shopping for oilcloth, that's another thing totally.  My friends joined me on a recent trip to Petatlan to re-stock our supplies for Sol Sisters' bags and some custom made makeup and travel bags for friends.  The clerks in the lovely tienda "La Popular" in Petatlan show me to their hidden stock in the back closet where we carefully coordinated the colors/trends we want to make for Spring. 

 
 
 We've had a busy but wonderful month full of friends, festivals and trips to our favorite places.  Jo and Gary, Lynn and Barry and Jane and Joe (all friends of ours for years) share our love for Zihuatanejo.  The food, the music, the beaches, the ocean and the people.  Thanks for spending your holiday time with us!  


 



What's left to do, see, taste, feel?  My annual trip to Uruapan,  Domingo de Ramos, Michoacán's state fair of artisans.  Our grand finale planned for April 11, and 12th thanks to Lynn and Barry's kind offer to dog-sit Cori and our friends Mike and Dee who want us to be their guides for this visual extravaganza.  Not focussed on shopping, although I have a small list of must have's from the beauty on display at the fair, I want to leave Mexico full of the wonder that is this country at it's best. 

We are staying longer this year, not arriving back to our Canadian home until April 26th.  I miss that home, our Victoria friends, our family and our garden....  But we have a clear purpose for our lengthened stay in Mexico.  We have pre-sold our small apartment which has given us so much joy and we have a final meeting to complete the sale scheduled for April 21st.  Mexico goes on vacation for the two weeks of Easter, Semana Santa and Semana Pascua, so we were lucky to have this meeting scheduled to do business while the rest of Mexico plays.   It just might be possible that I've had my fill of play this winter,...it's almost time to get back to the "other side of my life".  
 

 


3 comments:

  1. All good times must someday come to an end.......for a while. The good times will roll again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, did anyone tell you the yellow winged cacique's are back in the tree? I tried to get photos, but always miss them..they're quick, but they're here!

      Delete
  2. Good, I was told that the bird life down there was not great this year.....

    ReplyDelete