Thursday, February 19, 2015

Grocery Shopping is a Mexican adventure

It's been a few days since I walked on La Madera beach early in the morning, just in time to see the sun rise behind the hills south on La Ropa beach.  Yet again, I find a treasure!  A local man has created a stunning sand creation for Valentine's Day (Dia de la Amistad).   His work is legendary here...and it's all done with no funding I believe, but just simply to celebrate a place he loves...stay tuned for a creation I see underway today celebrating the ocean where a sirena serenely floats amid grasses.  Sirenas, "mermaids" are the stuff dreams are made of here in Zihuatanejo, the place of women. 

When one needs groceries, and even though it's tempting to only eat out, I do prefer cooking as a healthier and cost conscious option;  one can choose a couple of methods...the easy "Gringo Friendly" Commercial Mexicana, a well stocked and familiar Costco affiliate that offers everything one needs in a clean, bright air-conditioned store similar to stores "back home".  Hence the appeal to the many North American retirees who are currently here in Zihua.   At this time of year, the customers are easily 5 Gringo's to every 1 Mexican, except on "loss leader Wednesdays" when the aisles are filled with produce at bargain basement prices...I forgot my camera, but I promise a photo in the future to be added right here!

When planning a shopping trip to CM, we bring the car and load up the trunk with alcohol, big box items and head to and from home in a hurry so nothing is spoiled in the 30+ degree weather.

Or, in direct contrast , the other food shopping option, which I often prefer; is to walk the steaming busy streets and enter the main Mercado Principal with it's mazelike hallways, vendors and stalls and find just about anything and everything that is in season, fresh and delicious.  I prefer the street stalls and market for fresh produce, fish and flowers; leaving my canned goods, alcohol, paper products and other household needs to the big grocery store chain. 


Oaxaca treats made a special appearance in the streets surrounding Mercado this week.  Chapulines (dried grasshoppers) and fava beans in chili...both favorite "botanos" that are made to accompany a chilled mescal or tequila in the afternoon!

Pancho tells me that the Huachinango "Red Snapper" fishing was exceptionally good last night, so his stall has these faces cheerily waiting to be bought.
 
 
Local Musicians serenade the shoppers who have stopped for a bite to eat in one of the many lunch counter style "fondas" surrounding the stalls. 
 
 
 

After the market, walking back along Calle Cocos, I find my favorite avocado man, who although I suspect I get charged the "gringa price"; usually throws in one of the pre-cut display halves for free.
And I love the tropical plant stalls that have sprung up.  I am a regular purchaser of plants even though our condo is full of beauty I can find room for one or two more each season and when they outgrow their pots on my patio, they are welcomed into the gardens at Casa Ceiba.
Trucks drive into town from the surrounding farms and sometimes, I suspect they don't even have to unload, but are instead bought out by customers before they reach the shops they were intended for.
Back in Commercial to gather some staples that you can't buy as easily in the market, I can't help but notice the vats of pre-made mole all decorated and ready to go.  Not something I've considered buying in bulk...but who knows?  Maybe this is truly the modern Mexican woman's convenience store.

Back in my neighborhood, I'm struck with the beauty of the banana flower and baby bananas hanging in my neighbours garden.  Food and beauty are everywhere in Zihuatanejo!

1 comment:

  1. I think I miss shopping behind the market along with tacos el pastor the most.....

    ReplyDelete